[Bell Historians] Clock Chimes - information and requests for details

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Mon Jun 9 19:45:58 BST 2003

Pleased to hear that the Lowe House Carillon is still in use. I
always had fears that if the church knew the value of what is in the
tower they would dispose of the bells. However, I am recently
assured that safeguards to protect the bells from future sale were
put into covenants at the time of their installation.
The interior of the church was gutted a number of years ago. There
were pneumatic drills breaking up the Italian marble High Altar and
lorries coming out of the West Door were taking it to the tip!!!!!
The Jesuits, the former priests of the parish, must have been turning
in their graves.---

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, John Paul Adams <J.Adams at u...>
wrote:
> Jim H:
>
> >> For nineteen years I lived within the sound of the carillon at
Lowe
> >> House in St. Helens and the clock chime (Westminster Quarters)at
> >> Beacham's Pharmaceutical Works in St. Helens. The Lowe House
bells
> >> are some of the best heavy Taylor bells that I have heard. The
> >> smaller bells are not so good, and at one time there was talk of
> >> recasting where necessary. However, I believe that the
instrument is
> >> almost derelict now. Does anyone have details of the Beacham
bells?

> The chime at Lowe House was very playable at the Liverpool branch
> meeting on 12th June 1999, prior to ringing at the two churches in
St.