[Bell Historians] Curfew

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Jun 25 10:17:17 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I think that you can also add Stratford on Avon where - since its restorati=
on by Taylors in 1992 - the magnficent great bell at the Guild Chapel (Holy=
Cross) rings out at 8pm every evening. The present bell (27-3-2 in D) was =
cast by Hugh Watts II of Leicester in 1633. It is swung by electric motor.

Can't vouch for this 100% as it's a few years since I last heard it, but it=
was certainly the intention when it was rehung that it should be used as a=
curfew bell

CP