[Bell Historians] Curfew

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Jun 25 18:26:15 BST 2003

---

I think the mechanism for the Siege Bell in Valetta, Malta must be
knackered too. It didn't ring during the time we were there over
Easter.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...> wrote:
> > I think that you can also add Stratford on Avon where - since its
restoration by Taylors in 1992 - the magnficent great bell at the
Guild Chapel (Holy Cross) rings out at 8pm every evening. The present
bell (27-3-2 in D) was cast by Hugh Watts II of Leicester in 1633. It
is swung by electric motor.

> The Spurriergate Centre in York has a small Taylor Curfew bell of
just under 4 cwt hung for slow swinging. It used to swing at 8 am and
8 pm every day, but at present the swinging mecahnism is knackered.
I've applied for funding to restore it to working order.

____
> Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/
>
> Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards
for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.