Royal Exchange, London

George Dawson George at d...
Thu Jun 26 14:10:50 BST 2003

Readers may be interested to note that one of the C & G Mears 1844 bells
survives.

Hayward Mills Associates have a bell from Sydenham All Saints in for
rehanging. It was dreadfully corroded, so was shotblasted to clean it.
The inscription reads:
I/b. C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON.
But more importantly on the waist was the remains of a removed inscription
reading:

ROYAL EXCHANGE 1844

The diameter is 24.25" and its weight is an amazing 3.3.13, very thick &
flared soundbow.
Frequencies: 1822, 1664, 1079, 764 & 493 Hz.

The bell was originally at Ch Church Sydenham apparently, but as my 1956
Crockford gives neither I can not ascertain the date of buildings, so it is
not clear whether the bell came via Whitechapel (as a reject from the
original castings) or Taylors ( when they recast the Mears bells). Can
anyone enlighten us?

Mark Regans article on the building & its bells appeared in the Christmas
edition of the RW in 1997.

George Dawson