[Bell Historians] Royal Exchange, London

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Jun 26 17:28:03 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Even though I've yet to check things out fully, I'm not at all sure about t=
his supposed 1921 G&J retuning of an 1844 bell at/from the Royal Exchange. =
What's the source?

It'c clear the 1844 bells were replaced, the originals being returned to th=
e foundry and - no doubt - sold on where Mears could find a purchaser. The =
Sydenham bell must be one of these, and most likely the treble. I have som=
e Sydenham / Forst Hill extracts from the daybooks - references in 1844 and=
1877 - but need to check a few things to make sense of them. More later, =
as promised

CP