rehanging bells in saxon tower

Mike Chester mike at m...
Wed Mar 12 12:55:45 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...>
wrote:
> A local church which has a Saxo-Norman tower is intending to rehang
their
> bells, a Victorian Taylor six. They want to hang them lower in the
tower
> with all new framework and fittings. Bearing in mind the age of the
tower,
> is there likely to be trouble from English Heritage or any other
> conservation bodies about cutting holes in the walls of the tower
for
> foundation beams?
>
> David

I don't know about this, but they do need to ensure that the bells
are hung in the right place. Hanging them lower might hit a resonant
requency of the tower and actually make them more difficult to ring.
We have Harry Windsor in our Guild who is the CCCBR "expert" on
this. I can supply the details if needed, but you need to be
relatively quick as he is due to have heart surgery in the near
future.

Mike