[Bell Historians] Llewellins and James

David Cawley dave at d...
Tue Mar 18 15:37:51 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Here are the surviving complete L&J rings I know of

Rings of 8

East Ardsley, Yorks (1883)
East Teignmouth, 1897
Thornaby-on-Tees, 1898

7 out of 8

Ilfracombe, SS Philip & James (back 5 out of 6 -l old bell - 1876, trebles =
1923)
Warmley, Glos, (3-6 & 8 1879; trebles 1919 - 7th recast 1985)

6 bells

Market Lavington, Wilts, 1876
Cefn Coed, Mid-Glam.,=20
Godshill, IOW, 1887
Nantmel, Powys, 1903
Swindon, St Mark, 1904 (since when M&S have added two trebles)
Newton Nottage, Mid-Glam.,1906 (since augmented to 8)

5 bells

Bedminster, Bristol, St Paul, Southville, 2-6 of 6, 1875 (being the old 1-5=
of 6 ex St Luke's) with new treble added
Tredunnock, Gwent, 1881, 1-5 of 6 to match old tenor
Westbury-sub-Mendip, 1887, 1-5 of 6 to match old tenor
Vancouver Cathedral 1-5 of 8 to match existing French back 3 1909
Whitchurch, Glam., 3,4,5,6,8 1909 (augmented to 8 & once recast)
Upwey, Dorset, 5 to match with existing bell, 1911

This is somewhat E & OE, but it shows something of their complet(ish) works=
which survive of which East Teignmouth must surely be the finest - by anyo=
ne's standards a grand ring in their own right.

But like the writer to the Hebrews, if one was to list all the works of L&J=
which survive all over the country, "time would fail me".

Richard Bowden, 19 Eastfield Road, Westbury on Trym, Bristol BS9 4AE has un=
dertaken exhaustive and authoratitive work on the L&J foundry, and as a Dev=
onian himself will I am sure be pleased to hear from you. And Nicholas Bow=
den, nickwbowden at f... will I think be able to assist your enquiries. =
Good luck with your excellent bells.

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20