[Bell Historians] Llewellins and James

DJ Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Mar 17 11:17:44 GMT 2003

> This project is aiming to raise the necessary funds to re-hang the eight
> Llewellins and James bells (1897) at St. Michael's, Teignmouth. The
> background to this can be appreciated from our website at
> www.teignmouthbellproject.co.uk.
> We have been told that there are only a very few complete rings of eight L &
> J bells still in existence and even fewer which, like ours, still have their
> cannons and are in 'as cast' state.Does anyone know of others?
> Does anyone know where the foundry was in Bristol ?

There are a few other complete rings. One in Yorkshire (East Ardsley?),
Godshill, IOW and a few others. Not sure whether there are any which
haven't had their canons removed or been tuned.

The foundry was on what is now Castle Green, quite close the east end of
St Peter's church, which is now a ruin. The area sustained heavy bombing
in the war, and was subsequently cleared and made into a public park, with
the exception of the shell of St Peter's and the tower and a few bits of
wall of St Mary-le-Port. Both churches had rings of eight which were badly
damaged when the churches were bombed; St Mary's bells were stolen, and
those of St Peter stored at Taylor's for a number of years before being
sold to Taylor's as scrap.