[Bell Historians] Llewellins and James

David Cawley dave at d...
Wed Mar 19 15:35:26 GMT 2003

ht - now I understand much increased in number - at St Peter's RC church, R=
oath, Cardiff.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Alan Furse=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Llewellins and James

Many thanks to David Cawley for infomation about L & J bells (and for the=
=20
compliment to our ring - our tower captain will be pleased !) I will take=
up=20
the suggestions you offer.

Alan Furse

>From: "David Cawley" <dave at d...>
>To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Llewellins and James
>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:37:51 -0000
>
>Here are the surviving complete L&J rings I know of
>
>Rings of 8
>
>East Ardsley, Yorks (1883)
>East Teignmouth, 1897
>Thornaby-on-Tees, 1898
>
>7 out of 8
>
>Ilfracombe, SS Philip & James (back 5 out of 6 -l old bell - 1876, trebl=
es=20
>1923)
>Warmley, Glos, (3-6 & 8 1879; trebles 1919 - 7th recast 1985)
>
>6 bells
>
>Market Lavington, Wilts, 1876
>Cefn Coed, Mid-Glam.,
>Godshill, IOW, 1887
>Nantmel, Powys, 1903
>Swindon, St Mark, 1904 (since when M&S have added two trebles)
>Newton Nottage, Mid-Glam.,1906 (since augmented to 8)
>
>5 bells
>
>Bedminster, Bristol, St Paul, Southville, 2-6 of 6, 1875 (being the old =
1-5=20
>of 6 ex St Luke's) with new treble added
>Tredunnock, Gwent, 1881, 1-5 of 6 to match old tenor
>Westbury-sub-Mendip, 1887, 1-5 of 6 to match old tenor
>Vancouver Cathedral 1-5 of 8 to match existing French back 3 1909
>Whitchurch, Glam., 3,4,5,6,8 1909 (augmented to 8 & once recast)
>Upwey, Dorset, 5 to match with existing bell, 1911
>
>This is somewhat E & OE, but it shows something of their complet(ish) wo=
rks=20
>which survive of which East Teignmouth must surely be the finest - by=20
>anyone's standards a grand ring in their own right.
>
>But like the writer to the Hebrews, if one was to list all the works of =
L&J=20
>which survive all over the country, "time would fail me".
>
>Richard Bowden, 19 Eastfield Road, Westbury on Trym, Bristol BS9 4AE has=
=20
>undertaken exhaustive and authoratitive work on the L&J foundry, and as =
a=20
>Devonian himself will I am sure be pleased to hear from you. And Nichol=
as=20
>Bowden, nickwbowden at f... will I think be able to assist your=20
>enquiries. Good luck with your excellent bells.
>
>DLC

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.=20
http://join.msn.com/?page=3Dfeatures/junkmail

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20