[Bell Historians] Glastonbury

the_mcwomble cairngorm at m...
Wed Mar 19 17:39:11 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at a... wrote:

> > It would be a great shame if all decent heavy rings were destroyed
> > by ringers wanting something easier to ring.

Why should a particular ring of bells be kept as a museum piece, only
to be rung by the occasional passing band on an outing or tour of the
area.

Faced with having a light ring of bells rung regularly or a heavy ring
occasionally I think I know what I'd go for. In many cases such heavy
rings were usually put in as a result of enthusiastic and well meaning
philanthropists often with more money than sense.

Slaidburn, Waddington et al spring to mind, the latter being much more
sensible at 7cwt than their 16cwt predecessors.