Kings Sombourne,Warner's and Harmonic Tuning

nigelsdtaylor nigeltaylor at k...
Thu Mar 20 16:08:16 GMT 2003

When Kings Sombourne were sent for tuning a little under two years
ago, | had no idea that Gillett & Johnston had tuned the back five
when they added a treble in 1927; at that time, I assumed that
Warner's had tuned the bells when they recast the tenor in 1911. I
was amazed to find that the back three had been machined in the
shoulder, something I have only encountered once before at Nunney,
where they recast the two tenors in 1921. The fundamentals in the two
Nunney bells are sharp albeit not nearly as much as is generally
found in larger Warner bells.
The tenor from Kings Sombourne was machined from shoulder to
soundbow, and had an almost in-line fundamental and only slightly
sharp hum. The fundamentals of the 5th and 4th were almost correct as
well.
When I received the tuning figures from Gillett & Johnston's records,
I found that they had flattened the hum notes but the figures as
received and as tuned indicate that G & J did not machine the back
three in the shoulder. This leaves the question: did Warner's have
someone that understood the principles of harmonic tuning but left at
an early stage?
Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Nigel Taylor