[Bell Historians] big single bells

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed May 14 19:35:32 BST 2003

Don't know about Tunstall, but there's a very full article by DLC on the Adiscombe bell in RW 1993 pp.1281-6. After removal in 1953 it remained in the works at Loughborough as a showpiece for some years. I did see - and hear! - it there, but can't recall how it was hung. The article may say

CP
----- Original Message -----
From: David Bryant
To: Bell Historians
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 6:28 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] big single bells

Thanks to those who have supplied information on these. I still have nothing
on the following:

Tunstall, Staffs, RC church 50 0 23 1928 Mears & Stainbank
Croydon, S. Mary's, Addiscombe 50 2 20 1929 Taylor

Were / are they actually hung for ringing as opposed to slow swinging? It it
quite important for my article because if neither were then the last single
ringing bell of over two tons was cast and hung in 1916.

A draft is nearly finished and will be appearing on the web shortly - I just
want to add details of the above bells if necessary before uploading it.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor