[Bell Historians] Big single ringing bells

khsbelring at a... khsbelring at a...
Thu May 15 00:09:08 BST 2003

I spent some time with a Michael Denyer when we were both printing
apprentices. On one occasion when I was chatting to his Dad, whom I knew very
well , Charlie Denyer ( ex Ringing World Editor ) did tell me that he and
Fred Sharpe had got special permission and actually rung Great Tom of Oxford
up to the balance and stood it all be it without a stay. From what I
understood , at that time, I was under the impression that Great Tom was
actually chained to stop it swinging too far. Charlie Denyer did insist that
they had stood it. hope this is of interest. Howard E. J. Smith.