Tyntesfield

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Fri May 16 20:16:54 BST 2003

Several people, all of whom I think are members of this list, have asked me
to let them know what I found at Tyntesfield.

The chapel bell is indeed the former clock bell from Boston Parish Church in
Lincolnshire, cast by Thomas Eayre in 1759. Diameter 37 inches, note
somewhere between B and B flat.

The other bells at Tyntesfield are an unfitted 14 inch bell of 1815 by
Thomas Mears II and an 18 inch call-bell inscribed 'JEFFERIES BRISTOL 1832'.

Yesterday Matthew Higby and I stuck our noses up the tower at Rowberrow and
were interested to see that the L & J 1907 cast iron headstocks on the front
three were of a unique "topless" type. By unique, I mean that neither of us
had ever seen them anywhere before.

L & J rule OK.

CD