The first complete 'Simpson' peal

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed May 21 12:54:08 BST 2003

Dickon:

> The first Whitechapel Simpson tuned peal is
> at Petham, Kent

1923 seems astonishly early for this, but I ought not to judge, I
ought to go and record them. Bridport (1924 from memory) are not true-
harmonic, the second at Leatherhead (definitely 1924) is old-style.
The photo of the Petham bells on your website is interesting, one of
the bells appears to be maiden.

I don't know as much as I should about Whitechapel's adoption of true-
harmonic tuning. I have a chronological list of towers / bells but
only have the odd recording as yet. Alan Hughes did tell me that
while they were experimenting with true-harmonicity they almost
always shipped the results - for commercial reasons, to avoid the
cost of recasting. Therefore, the record exists in the towers.

Bill H