[Bell Historians] York, Former St John

Michael Childs mtchilds at y...
Fri May 30 10:27:07 BST 2003

Not only did they get their facts wrong about
clappers, but they also can't spell!

I have never rung at Knottingly or Nearwood, but I
have rung at Knottingley and Meanwood!

Michael

--- David Bryant <djb122 at y...> wrote: > >
Here's one for you David.

> > I read in today's RW that what used to be the Arts
> > Center has been sold and is to become a
> restaurant.
> > Any idea what is going to happen to the bells? I
> am
> > sure the City of York will not want to lose this
> > historic ring.
>
> I've just written a complaining letter to the RW
> about that report. The
> above is one of the more minor points - I
> paricularly take issue with the
> assertion that two clappers "had fallen out" of the
> bells at Stockton, with
> its implication of poor maintenenace. Actually, I
> maintain the bells and had
> removed two clappers for rebushing. Likewise, the
> Minster tenor clapper had
> not fallen out, it had broken.
>
> As regards St John, there have been negotiations
> between David Potter and
> the company who are buying the building, and the
> intention is that the bells
> will remain where they are and continue to be rung.
> The restaurant company
> are keen on the idea as it would be something of a
> novelty.
>
> David

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<P><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>Michael Childs </FONT></P>
<P><A href="mailto:mtchilds at y..."><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>mtchilds at y...</FONT></A></P>