Fog bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Thu Nov 13 04:37:32 GMT 2003

In David Cawley's interesting article on buoy bells (this week's RW,
p.1081ff), there is reprinted a 1911 advertisement from J.Warner &
Sons for "lighthouse, fog and buoy bells". That terminology seems
odd to me, because all of the instances of fog bells which I have
found in America have been associated with lighthouses. (Buoy bells
are apparently the same the world over.) What is the distinction
between lighthouse bells and fog bells in English usage? Or were
Warners simply being sure to cover all possible terminology at once?

CSZ