[Bell Historians] Clapper springs

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Nov 19 18:29:17 GMT 2003

We've got clapper lifters on a number of rings in York. The sixes at
Stockton, Spurriergate and Strensall have them, and I think a few of the
other rings probably have as well. They are made using rubber doorstops on a
steel bracket. The Minster tenor has a lifter made using two landrover
shock-absorbing suspension blocks, mounted on a steel bracket. Given the
size of the clapper, the strain on it is very large and the bolts and lugs
on the biffers break periodically and have to be replaced.