[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper springs

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Thu Nov 20 18:57:54 GMT 2003

From: Andrew Aspland

The G&J "springs" were not really springs at all.

>From AW:
Yes they are. Springs do not have to be coiled. The COED defines a spring
as a 'resilient device, usually of bent or coiled metal'. Certainly the
'springs' or suspension, on a DMU sprinter are curved pieces of metal.
AW

Sorry - I thought that the mechanism did not rely on the arms being
"springy" like those in a handbell but it was the toggles that did the work.
The arms are pretty hefty - about 50mm by 15mm in section - and are called
"supporting brackets" by G&J - and I quote "Its mechanism is simple and has
no springs to get out of order."

Put that in your COED and smoke it!
Andrew