[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper springs

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Thu Nov 20 16:43:39 GMT 2003

In a message dated 20/11/2003 16:35:39 GMT Standard Time, zen16073 at z...
writes:

> Yes they are. Springs do not have to be coiled. The COED defines a spring
> as a 'resilient device, usually of bent or coiled metal'. Certainly the
> 'springs' or suspension, on a DMU sprinter are curved pieces of metal.

Agreed - the arms which Andrew talks about are definately intended to be
springs - rather like those used to lift clock hammers. I remember gently bouncing
the tenor at Bradford on Avon on the stay and hear it chime (rather like the
bell was up wrong). The toggles on the end of the springs do work in the way
Andrew describes.

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,