[Bell Historians] Re: Coaley

Ken Webb kenwebb at r...
Mon Nov 24 19:11:43 GMT 2003

>From the David Bagley website:

Coaley, S Bartholomew, 6 bells, Tenor 12.5 cwt, Grid Ref:SO772017

These are a complete ring by Charles and George Mears, cast at the
Gloucester foundry bought from John Rudhall. They are possibly the last
bells ever cast at Gloucester. Sharpe gives the tenor weight as 10.5 cwt.

C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 3.75 cwt
C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 4 cwt
C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 5.5 cwt
C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 6 cwt
C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 7 cwt
C & G Mears, Gloucester, 1845, 12.5 cwt in G
(Data:EMB+Sharpe 1971)

Ken Webb in WWW (I'm sure Dennis can explain)

"Dennis Powney" <dennis.powney at l...> wrote:
> On the B.B.C. West of England T.V. news this morning was this
statement, or something along these lines -
> "The bells of Coaley, Glos have been refurbished at the cost of
£50,000. At first the church were going to throw the old bells away,
until they realised that they were the last set to have been made at
the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon works".
> Whereas I doubt that the first part of the statement is correct,
(The 'Throw away' bit) I wonder about the second part? Who did make,
or cast, the Coaley bells?