Tuning Bells

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Oct 1 19:59:53 BST 2003

>From memory, the Riverside N.Y. bass bell is about eighteen and one
quarter tons. It was cast at somewhere near twenty two tons. The
bell bears Gillett & Johnston's name. But as I have intimated
previously on this site, I have heard it said that it was in fact
cast by a marine engineering company that produced ships' propellers
and had huge furnace capacity.
I seem to remember that a very large bell produced in France(?) for
U.S.A. was similarly cast by propeller manufacturers. This happened
within the last ten years or so.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, mike at m... wrote:
> Alan Buswell has kindly sent me details of my beloved Roker bells.
I note that the tenor was cast at 25-1-24 and tuned to 22-2-26. Is
this about the "normal" amount that would be expected to be removed
from a bell during the initial tuning process?