American bell frames

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Sun Oct 19 03:01:52 BST 2003

obscure question"), here's an outline of what I know about the
history of American bell frames. I do not pretend to be an expert on
the subject, but having explored hundreds of bell towers in the
St.Louis area, I think I can write something useful and interesting.

The biggest difference between English and American bell frame
history arises from the fact that the American bellfoundries almost
never attempted to hang bells for full-circle ringing. (Two
exceptions are known, one from McShane and one from Meneely/West
Troy.)

The biggest similarity between the two histories probably arises from
the fact that almost all of the bells imported in colonial times came
from England, so that their fittings and style of hanging would have
served as models for the early American bellfounders. In fact, when
St.Michael's Church in Charleston ordered an octave from Lester &
Pack in 1763, the shipment (in 1764) was accompanied by "written
Instructions for making the Frame of the Bells conformable to a
Moddle sent with them." The order also separately priced the bells,
the clappers, and "8 pair Brasses", each by weight, the fourth item
of the order being a collective sum for "Stocks, wheels, Iron work,
Rollers, Ropes, &ca." The "Brasses" would have been plain bearing
blocks, probably intended to be set into the top of horizontal timber
frame members.

This method of bell hanging was probably used by most American
bellfounders up to about the middle of the 19th century, with each
bellframe being built by a local artisan at the bell's destination.
Certainly the earliest surviving locally-made bells in the St.Louis
area are hung this way. At least two small single bells were hung
with the brasses let into the end grain of short vertical posts which
stand on the belfry floor, each braced by a pair of smaller diagonal
timbers nailed in place.

A larger set of 3 bells, made in 1853, was hung at the top of a
massive timber frame with trapezoidal sides, i.e., the four corner
posts are not vertical. The bells are in separate pits at the top,
the frame has horizontal cross-pieces about halfway up the legs, and
the bottoms of the legs stand on corbels in the corners of the brick
tower. Presumably this was done so that the horizontal thrust of the
swinging bells would have been absorbed by flexing of the frame
rather than being transmitted to the tower.

By the mid-1860s, however, almost all swinging tower bells were being
hung on a pair of cast-iron A-frames, with a plain bearing slot at
the top of the "A". The feet of the "A" were horizontal plates with
one or two bolt holes, by which the A-frames were fastened to a
timber base. Although the styles of the A-frames and the bases
varied from one foundry to another (as did the bells and the rest of
the fittings, of course), the common factor was that bell and frame
could be assembled completely at the foundry, shipped to the
destination by railroad, and hoisted into the tower without any need
for a skilled bell hanger. The foundry supplied instructions for
hoisting, placement of the bell in the belfry, and roping.
Multi-bell installations were now done simply by hoisting multiple
bells, each in its own frame, into the belfry. If the tower was
large enough, they were arranged on the belfry floor in whatever way
was convenient; if space did not permit that, then multiple platforms
were built to carry the bells in their individual frames. The two
heaviest installations in the city, each with a bass bell of about
6000 lbs, date from 1881 (4 bells) and 1893 (5 bells), and are
accommodated in tall massive trapezoidal timber frames which carry 2
or 3 platforms, respectively (bass bell on the bottom platform).

By the 1880s, cast iron bells (actually a primitive form of steel)
were being mass-produced by the thousands, and the ones large enough
to be intended for hanging in a tower were shipped from the foundry
with the same kind of cast iron A-frames on timber bases. (However,
I don't know of any foundry that produced both bronze and iron bells.
So the method of hanging was simply "current accepted best practice",
I suppose.)

Plain bearings were superseded in the early 20th c. by a variety of
other types before modern ball bearings were adopted. A number of
ingenious methods were tried, involving various kinds of wheels or
rollers in oil boxes. But the only effect on the way the bells were
hung was to change the shape of the top of the A-frame.

I'm not certain when pre-fabricated steel frames replaced cast-iron
A-frames on timber bases, though I doubt that any of the St.Louis
foundries ever used them. (The largest such foundry closed in 1931,
and the last in 1961, though it produced very little after the
1930s.) But in 1923, Meneely (Watervliet) supplied a pre-fabricated
steel frame that was assembled on site; using a variety of L-section
material, it supports four large bells on five A-frames of two sizes,
all standing in a straight line on the timber floor of the belfry in
a much older tower.

In the last half century, essentially all tower bells in America have
come from the European foundries (more Dutch than anything else), and
have been hung in accordance with their standard practices.

I haven't touched on the subject of American chime frames, which are
considerably different from those used for swinging bells.

As I indicated at the start, this is just an outline (or perhaps
"sketch" would be more accurate) of what I know at present. I hope
some day to be able to give this subject more extensive treatment on
my own Website.

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
Avocation: tower bells: http://www.gcna.org/ (Co-Webmaster)