[Bell Historians] Re: Hanley, Staffs

mtchilds mtchilds at y...
Wed Oct 22 10:16:58 BST 2003

Thanks for all your information.

I was in Stoke area last weekend and walked past the boarded up
church and suspected it was St John's, but could not be sure as I was
not aware it is redundant.

I am sure we all agree that it is a rather sorry state of affairs,
and hopefully a new home will one day be found the bells. A few big
towers in the Leeds area spring to mind....

Michael

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...>
wrote:
> > There is a photo of the boarded up church at Hanley
>
> > There must be an easier way, but I'm not sufficiently pc literate
> > know better.
>
> The following link will take you straight there:
>
> http://www.staffordshire-peals.co.uk/photograph.asp?town=4500
>
> The English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register gives the following
> information:
>
> Name: Church of St John
> Street: Town Road
> Locality: Hanley
> Parish: Stoke on Trent
> District / London Borough: N/A
> Unitary Authority: Stoke on Trent (UA)
> National Park: N/A
> County: Staffordshire
> Region: West Midlands
> Building Grade: II*
> Scheduled Ancient Monuments: N
> Conservation Area: N
> Registered Park / Garden Grade: Not registered
> World Heritage Site: No
> Condition: Very bad
> Occupancy: Vacant
> Priority Category: A
> New Entry: No
> Previous Priority Category: A
> Ownership Type: Religious organisation
> Contact: John Yates, 0121 625 6846
Unused for
> sometime. Requires various structural repairs. Discussions
continuing with
> church and potential users on proposals for future of building.
Some of the
> castellations on the top of the bell tower have been removed for
safety
> reasons. EH has given emergency works grant for their
repair/reinstatement.