[Bell Historians] Bell notes.

Andrew Bull a.bull at s...
Thu Oct 30 13:49:47 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I agree entirely. Many bells are not tuned to an exact note anyway. For
example, Monmouth, St Mary, the tenor fundamental is 642 Hz, which is pretty
much exactly halfway between E and E-flat.

Andrew Bull

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel M. Austin [mailto:combineharvestersam at h...]
Sent: 30 October 2003 13:42
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bell notes.

I have looked with interest on that excel spreadsheet regarding Tenor weight

vs note. (is that on the nabbers list) apologies if it is and no-one knows
what I am talking about as usual but..

A lot of the data is probably incorrect as a lot of the rings' notes are
pre-1939 concert pitch (A=440htz)
Ive said this before but wont it be more sensible so record bell notes to
A=440 then we'll have reliable data.
I usually take my tuning fork to towers I havnt been to before and record
the (often different) note in Dove. Ive got perfect pitch but use a tuning
fork just to make sure.

For example. Runcorn in Cheshire are F in dove but are actually a high E.
There were so many different pitches which people adhered to before the
standered concert pitch of A=440.
Is this a good idea or I am I talking out of my backside again.

By the way, they're thinking of changing it again to A=442!

Sam

<http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17072858
20:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=886275784>

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

This email originated externally and has been scanned by MessageLabs

Internet E-mail communications are not secure and therefore the
Khaos Technologies Group does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely
Khaos Technologies Group unless otherwise specifically stated.