[Bell Historians] RE: Research Project

David Bryant david at b...
Thu Oct 30 10:10:10 GMT 2003

> John Lott I of Warminster cast the 5/6 (now 9/10) for Edington in 1647
with
> the Royal Arms.
>
> A leaflet on the 10 bells suugests that this may not reflect his own
> sympathies, but those of Lady Anne Beachamp who is said to have held
secret
> Royalist meetings at her home next to the church.
>
> A 1648 bell by Lott for Erlestoke, the next church along the road, has no
> such ornament.

Didn't Lott learn his trade from the Purdues? Certainly Richard Purdue I
used the Royal Arms, so perhaps Lott was using it simply as an ornament. The
treble at Cothelstone in Somerset (Richard Purdue I) has two large coat of
arms on its waist, but I can't recall whether they're Royal Arms or the Arms
of the local Lord of the Manor.