[Bell Historians] RE: Research Project

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Thu Oct 30 15:18:23 GMT 2003

Didn't Lott learn his trade from the Purdues? Certainly Richard Purdue I
used the Royal Arms, so perhaps Lott was using it simply as an ornament. The
treble at Cothelstone in Somerset (Richard Purdue I) has two large coat of
arms on its waist, but I can't recall whether they're Royal Arms or the Arms
of the local Lord of the Manor.

David

Yes, he is said to have done so, though I think the evidence is largely
circumstantial. The question is would a founder have used the Royal Arms
unless requested to do so? Lott cast several bells during the Civil Wars
(but not the one at Chippenham, that's a printing error) but I don't know
how many had the Royal Arms on them, or if one could link up this with local
politics.

Anne Willis