[Bell Historians] Layout of information

Andrew Bull a.bull at s...
Thu Sep 11 11:02:19 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I would agree that very few people would be qualified to make detailed
comments on the tone of bells in the way that Chris Dalton does.

That having been said, his descriptions of bells in his Dorset books adds a
whole new dimension to the survey. And I have to say, I am now desperate to
have a ring at Bagshot, Surrey, after Dalton's description of them as
"extraordinary granky throaty gurglers but interesting and rather exciting
sound. 3rd pretty good, 4th weird, 6th good, 7th pretty good but old-style
-ish, tenor extraordinary".

Andrew Bull

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pickford [mailto:c.j.pickford at t...]
Sent: 11 September 2003 03:04
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Layout of information

I have a real problem with 2) - not that I don't strongly agree in
principle.

It's just that it's very difficult not to be subjective - to like / dislike
bells by particular founders, to believe in true-harmonic tuning to the
exclusion of all else, to have heard bells in and out of the tower, to
remember towers visited several years back, to be consistent between
impressions on successive visits etc.

Chris Dalton does this very well - mostly (with reservations about his
strong dislike of a couple of founders) - and makes it clear why he likes or
dislikes certain sounds. I don't have the assurance in my opinions to
attempt it, and in re-wprking my material I've tended to delete any tonal
comments I wrote in the past. Looking back, I find much of the tonal comment
in my site visit notes

I think it's valid to have a particular interest - e.g. historical evolution
of the bells / installation - and to say so in an introduction, so that
those seeking other material - e.g. comments on tone - are let down lightly.
In 'Warwickshire' I'll probably include a short chapter on tone and tuning,
but not comments in the parish/place entries.

CP

This email originated externally and has been scanned by MessageLabs

Internet E-mail communications are not secure and therefore the
Khaos Technologies Group does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely
Khaos Technologies Group unless otherwise specifically stated.