[Bell Historians] Digest Number 506

Michael Childs mtchilds at y...
Fri Sep 12 14:00:23 BST 2003

Whilst on a recent ringing holiday in Dorset I browsed
through a friend's copies of Chris Dalton's Dorset
books and found them very interesting. The pictures
are good, and the comments are, on the whole,
informative and accurate.

In my experience, a well known bell historian's
opinions on tones of bells are usually accurate and
after all, if you have written the book, surely you
can put what you like in it?

Michael

--- Ben Willetts <ben at b...> wrote: > Andrew
Bull:
> > That having been said, [Chris Dalton's]
> descriptions of bells
> > in his Dorset books adds a whole new dimension to
> the survey.
> > I am now desperate to have a ring at Bagshot,
> Surrey, after
> > Dalton's description of them ... 3rd pretty good,
> 4th weird,
> > 6th good, 7th pretty good but old-style-ish, tenor
> extraordinary".
>
> Those descriptions by themselves seem rather
> useless. "Pretty good" under
> what criteria? What do "weird" or "extraordinary"
> tell us? Are they good
> sounds or bad sounds? Perhaps the tenor sounds like
> someone revving a car
> engine - that would certainly be extraordinary.
>
> As it happens, Bagshot is in my Guild, and I've rung
> a peal there. The
> tenor sounds bad, reminiscent of a tin bath perhaps,
> but I wouldn't call it
> "extraordinary". Lots of bells sound crap.
>
> Ben

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<P><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>Michael Childs </FONT></P>
<P><A href="mailto:mtchilds at y..."><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>mtchilds at y...</FONT></A></P>