'Pretty' steel bells

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Tue Sep 16 23:19:18 BST 2003

CD (on steel bells):

> No - because of their profile and resulting harmonic
> structure (extremely sharp hum notes, etc.) Unless you
> like that sort of thing ...

A correspondent wrote to me the other day on this subject.
Unfortunately I can't quickly find the email. However, from memory,
one or more German bell-founders deliberately cast bells, including
bronze ones, with very sharp hums. They are called SextGlocken, named
for the major sixth hum, and some have been produced relatively
recently.

If there is interest and I find the email I will post proper details.

Bill H