[Bell Historians] Railway Bell

Paul Marshall paul&jean at p...
Mon Sep 22 19:50:29 BST 2003

The Severn Valley Railway obtained a bell with a metal headstock and
wheel from somewhere. I last saw it lying around at Bewdley station.
I'll see if I can find out where it came from.

It was quite common for signal boxes to have bells hung outside but I
don't remember hearing of a swung bell in a marshalling yard. It may
have been worked by wire from the signal box and rung to tell the staff
to stop shunting while a train was let into the sidings, or as a warning
of a passing train.

Paul Marshall.

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20030922143018.04e39348 at 1...>,
editor at r... writes