Removed in the War

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Apr 1 16:13:43 BST 2004

Yes, Bedford bells were removed and placed in the churchyard for the duration of the war. There are a number of photographs of them, showing a form of open-air storage which wouldn't be quite so free of the risk of theft today. We used to have framed copies of these pictures in the tower, though I wonder if they have been vandalised by the present tower officials (like the sound control, amplification system, and ... er, ringing!)

The (then) six bells at Kempston were also taken down in the war

CP