[Bell Historians] William Wooding Starmer

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Apr 1 14:03:15 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> > A very interesting story, but which would you rather have - a 53
cwt old
> > Whitechapel twelve, or a 54 cwt Gillett & Johnston twelve ? I
know which
> > would be my choice! Likewise, I can't believe that the old ring
at Coventry
> > could have, in any way, have been up to the tonal quality of the
present
> > bells there.
>
> Having heard recordings of both, it seems that both were very good
in different ways. The Gillett ring were indeed a tremendous loss.
It's a shame they weren't removed for safety before the war, as a
number of other city-centre rings were.

> David

I'm not sure that many of the city rings were removed for safety.
The only ones that spring to mind were St Magnus, Lower Thames
Street, most of the rest perished like Bow.