Tower and bell acoustics

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Mon Apr 5 10:24:24 BST 2004

One or two people have asked about tower acoustics, resonant
frequencies of bell-chambers, etc. It's difficult to explain without
getting technical, here's an attempt to put it in straightforward
terms. I have done an awful lot of work on this over the past couple
of years - enough to understand the effects, but not enough (yet) to
be able to say what makes a tower 'good' or 'bad' acoustically.
Little of the stuff below is on my website, yet.

Towers don't just resonate at a single frequency. Their response to a
bell vibrating inside them has a characteristic at every frequency.
This characteristic accentuates some frequencies and attenuates
others. The acoustic effect of the tower is very important indeed to
the sound of a bell. My extended experiments in simulating bell
sounds have proved that unless tower acoustics are taken into
account, it is almost impossible to create a realistic bell sound;
with tower acoustics, it is quite easy.

I did some experiments a year ago, repeatedly striking a bell with a
machine I built giving a clapper blow of known strength. I discovered
that the acoustic characteristic of the bell chamber varied
considerably from one place to another - some partials were stronger,
some weaker, depending where the microphone was within the bell
chamber. One would expect this from the basic physics. Obviously once
the point of listening moves outside the bell chamber, into the
ringing room or the street, these differences get greater.

This sounds quite complicated, but it turns out that all the
charateristic for a particular sound path from bell to listener can
be captured by recording the response to a sudden sound (the impulse
response, in technical jargon). I use a handclap. It is then possible
to apply this impulse response to a bell sound (the technical term is
convolution) to 'add in' the acoustic of the tower. The results are
very convincing in practice.

The reverse process (deconvolution) is also mathematically possible,
so in principle it is possible to take away the effect of one tower
from a bell recording before adding in that of another. If this
worked, it would be very exciting, but unfortunately, for deep
technical reasons, the result does not sound good enough in practice
to be usable.

As I said, the tower acoustics make an enormous difference to the
intensities of the various partials which can clearly be heard as a
difference in the sound. However, I still believe that features of
the bell itself also make a difference (e.g. the example Andrew
Higson recently gave of thick-shouldered bells having a weak prime).
There are differences between recent bells from Taylors and
Whitechapel which I have heard in more than one tower which must be
due to something fundamental in the bell design.

Enough! If anyone wants any more, contact me privately.

Bill H