[Bell Historians] Copy of a letter to the RW re Church bells.

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Apr 5 22:08:51 BST 2004

RO:

> Hasn't this always been the case though? In my 40 odd years as a
> ringer most of the vast majority of the projects I've been involved
> in (and there were a hell of a lot of them when I was in Kent!) have
> been driven by ringers and most of the funds raised by them as well -
> the ringers nearly drowned in a sea of home-made chutney, waste paper
> and greetings cards when we were raising money for the new eight at
> St Michael's Maidstone for instance.

Since the 1960s or 70s this has probably been the case. However, I think
that if you look who paid for the bells in the heyday of modern bell
casting - the first half of the C20 - most of the finance will have come
from the churches themselves.