[Bell Historians] Copy of a letter to the RW re Church bells.

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue Apr 6 11:21:31 BST 2004

> Since the 1960s or 70s this has probably been the case. However, I
think
> that if you look who paid for the bells in the heyday of modern bell
> casting - the first half of the C20 - most of the finance will have
come
> from the churches themselves.
>
> David

Hmm! I think that's probably debatable too. A good many jobs in
the early part of the 20th century seem to have been paid for by the
village squire (who probably subsidised most other church activities
as well), or some other well off person. Even in those far off
times, I'm sure quite a number of projects were spearheaded by bands
of ringers. ...I've forgotten, why is this relevant to the current
listings debate?!!