[Bell Historians] Minsters

David Bryant david at b...
Thu Apr 22 11:09:51 BST 2004

> I had always assumed that the word had a monastic connection and that
> was why I was mystified as to how Preston and Bishopwearmouth had
> managed to achieve the title. Who conferred it upon these two
> newcomers, the diocesan authorities?

>From the Preston ringers' website:

"The augmentation of the bells was also undertaken to celebrate Preston being granted City status by Her Majesty the Queen as part of her Golden Jubilee festivities, as well as the church receiving Minster status from the Blackburn diocese. "

David
Join the UK's number one for the internet
www.freeserve.com/time