Re: Re: [Bell Historians]  St Mary's, Shrewsbury

David Bryant david at b...
Thu Apr 22 11:27:08 BST 2004

> Thank you David. I'm also interested in when and why it was hung for full
> circle ringing.

Could it definitely ever have been rung full circle? It would need a pulley box.

> Are there any other examples of bells hung full circle in
> one part of the church separate to the ring in the tower?

The old tenor (21 cwt) at Beverley Minster, hung for ringing (although without stay or slider) in the SW tower with the slow-swinging 7-ton bourdon Great John. The ring are in the NW tower.

Also, the 8th of the old ten remains in the central tower of Chester Cathedral in the old 10-bell frame. Does it still have ringing fittings?

David
Join the UK's number one for the internet
www.freeserve.com/time