[Bell Historians] Council for the Conservation of Bellfoundries (CCB)

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Tue Apr 27 10:55:38 BST 2004

david at b... writes:

Didn't Hayward Mills cast a light ring of eight for Ullingswick which were
never installed?

Yes - cast somewhere in Stoke on Trent I believe.
We (i.e. Richard Bowditch and Myself) have recently cast 2 small octaves for
personal use - to G&J style profiles (My tenor weighs 2-0-11 in F# - 22"
dia). We have used the CO2 sand moulding method which has produced a superb
finish - this method may throw up problems if we try bigger bells due to core
shrinkage rates etc.
We are currently working on a set of patterns to make production easier and
cheaper.
Just bought a 6.5 ton vertical borer too - tuning starts in the next few
weeks!
Matthew