[Bell Historians] Council for the Conservation of Bellfoundries (CCB)

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Wed Apr 28 17:58:32 BST 2004

I would think that rehanging a bell in situ, rather than taking it to
the foundry, has more to do with the lack of, or inaccessibility of,
trapways in the tower rather than problems of transport outside the
tower. This sort of work still goes on to this day where getting a
bell out would involve dismantling a whole ring, or cutting trapways
in floors, etc.

Transport costs counted even in the 20th century. There were quotes for
re-hanging Heytesbury in the 1920's from Gillett & Johnston, Taylors and
Whitechapel. The taylor's quote was about £50 more which I think may
reflect the greater cost of transport from Loughborough to Wiltshire at the
time. Gillett & Johnston and Whitechapel could have easil used the Southern
railway. I think Whitechapel got the job because they agreed to supply a
wooden frame. Metal ones were held in deep suspicion in this part of the
world for a long time.

Anne Willis