[Bell Historians] Re: Kirkoswald, Cumbria

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Aug 2 14:33:34 BST 2004

> On the lip of the bell are three old silver coins, much worn, which
> have clearly been put in the mould before casting

Clearly bollocks. I've seen this type of statement before. What they no doubt actually mean is that a coin was used to form an impression in the mould, thus forming a facsimile of itself on the bell. Logic dictates that the coins themselves couldn't have been put in the mould - when the molten metal hit them, they too would melt!

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/