[Bell Historians] Re: Kirkoswald, Cumbria

Peter Humphreys pfh at w...
Mon Aug 2 15:01:34 BST 2004

charset="us-ascii"

I suspect you may be right about the coins melting but without knowledge
of the melting "points" of the two alloys - it should be qualified.

Pure Silver has a M Pt of 961.93 deg Celsius.

However, because it is an alloy Sterling Silver (5% copper) melts over a
range starting at approx 760 deg Celsius.

I don't have this information in my head!...

See http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov2001/1005200805.Ch.r.html

I am sure someone out there will have the temperature at which bell
metal is poured into moulds.

That should stop any arguments. Facts usually do!

Hope this helps

Peter

---