[Bell Historians] Trebles on higher numbers

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Aug 10 09:21:13 BST 2004

> I am still very interested in answers to the question: is there any
> objective evidence that a bell cast to a thicker scale is louder,
> either by its nature or because a heavier clapper can be used?

I understand that the treble at the Bullring is measurably quieter than the 2nd because it is thicker and therefore there isn't as much clapper throw. The clappers in the front four here were, I believe, replaced with heavier ones soon after the bells were installed.

I'm sure there are people on this list who know a lot more about the Bullring bells than I do and may be able to add information.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/