[Bell Historians] Trebles on higher numbers

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Wed Aug 11 06:05:51 BST 2004

At 10:21 +0200 2004/08/10, David Bryant wrote:
>I understand that the treble at the Bullring is measurably quieter
>than the 2nd because it is thicker and therefore there isn't as much
>clapper throw.

I'm surprised that no one has reacted to this point yet. There is no
*direct* connection between thickness and clapper throw. Two bells
of the same pitch but different thickness will have different
external profiles but the same internal profiles, because it is
internal diameter which controls pitch. (Why else would tuning be
done on the inside rather than the outside?) Therefore those two
bells will have the *same* internal space available for clapper
throw. (The thicker bell may well have a larger diameter at the lip,
but it won't have a larger diameter at the sound bow--the point of
impact of the clapper.)

It is certainly possible (maybe even probable) that the bell hanger
will fit a heavier clapper to the thicker bell than would be fitted
to the thinner bell. If some of that extra weight is derived from a
fatter ball on the clapper, *that* will reduce the clapper throw
(which is approximately the inside diameter of the bell minus the
diameter of the clapper ball). But that is an indirect connection,
not a necessary one.

I suspect that the actual purpose of the longer treble clapper
flights which have been mentioned in this discussion is to increase
the clapper weight (or mass) without increasing the diameter of the
clapper ball, i.e., without reducing the clapper throw.

CSZ