Sanctus & Angelus Bells

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Aug 12 16:13:45 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wilby" <andrew at w...>
wrote:

> DLC <I'd never thought before that we did something illegal - even
though we don't have a special bell here on which to do it.>

> The Chancellor of the St Albans Diocese has refused a Faculty for a
Sanctus bell in recent time because it is illegal... and quite right
too I would say if you consider its real purpose.

> If you believe that during the service the REAL blood and body of
Christ is suddenly present in the Parish then it's something to tell
or warn the parishioners about.
> We are supposed to have moved on from this tiny minded and
intimidating superstition now and the church does not have to remind
us of some of its darker former times each week.

> Similarly, the internal bells were rung to call the attention of
the congregation to what was happening beyond the Rood screen. Again
a situation which our forbears rejected as wrong and not a part of
our past to rehearse. Apart from that in the modern context it is
insulting to the congregation.

> Cranmer somewhere warned about backsliding and the danger of the
brainless of practice of superstitious habits without knowing what
you were up to.

> I hope that dear DLC will become a reformed man from this moment
onward, cut off his Sanctus rope and every other button on his
catholic frock as well!!

> Andrew

Could it not just be a reminder that people are marking a amazing
moment in history when Our Saviour made the perfect sacrifice for us
all? I moment to rejoice with bells I'd have thought!