[Bell Historians] Re Unknown Founder & something else?.

David Bryant david at b...
Fri Aug 20 23:27:58 BST 2004

> When was the last bell cast in Somerset (Prior to the Bowditch Foundry in
> 1989)?

A Taunton brassfounder named Roger Savery cast a few bells in the 1830s. The
only one on the listed bells list for the B&W diocese is 2/6 at Creech St
Michael, which I've seen - odd-shaped thing with a domed crown and very
short waist. I thought there was one at Tolland too, but it isn't on the
list and if it survives I would expect it to be. There was also another at
Huish Episcopi recast earier in the C20, plus one or two more.

I think I have a photo of the Creech bell (which is dated 1838) somewhere.
If anyone wants to see if I'll try to find it. Can't promise though - my
photos are in rather a mess!