[Bell Historians] Fenham bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Aug 24 15:01:48 BST 2004

Thanks to George Dawson for providing the actual notes for Fenham Ss
James & Basil. If the baton clavier transposes to the key of C (as
is typical), then the arrangement of the keys should look like this:

# - # - # # - #
O O O O O O O O O O O O

where O represents white notes, # represents black notes present and
- represents black notes absent. (I trust that all readers are using
a suitable monospaced font in their email programs.)

I could wish that the useless sharp tenor be traded in for the
missing minor sixth, minor tenth and five (or more) trebles to make a
fine middle-weight two-octave carillon. Since, as David Cawley
pointed out, "the whole set is cast on a scale of ringing weights",
there is probably a limit to how far the treble range could be
extended. Still, it should produce a fine-sounding instrument, and
would make a grand experiment to compare with instruments cast to
conventional chiming or carillon weights. Comments from Whitechapel?

CSZ