[Bell Historians] Fenham bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Aug 24 19:39:05 BST 2004

In spite of my best efforts, the keyboard diagram in my previous
message was mangled somewhere in the email system. The leading space
on the first line was converted to two spaces. (On the Bell
Historians group at Yahoo, it's even worse - *all* of the multiple
spaces were converted to single spaces.) But just for the sake of
accuracy, let's try a different pseudo-graphical technique:

If the baton clavier transposes to the key of C (as is typical), then
the arrangement of the Upper and Lower rows of keys should look like
this:

U: .#.-...#.-.#...#.-...#.
L: O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O.O

where
"O" represents a "white" note
"#" represents a "black" note present
"-" represents a "black" note absent
"." represents a space between adjacent keys (and above or below a
key in the opposite row)

This still won't display properly in the message archives on the
Website, because Yahoo doesn't use a monospaced font to display
messages. Too bad.

CSZ