[Bell Historians] Fenham bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Thu Aug 26 16:35:31 BST 2004

Chris Povey asked:
>Shouldn't the 3rd of the ring be D#?

to which George Dawson acknowledged:
>Yes it was my transcription error from my files, it IS D#

which made me realize that I had made the countervailing error of
treating the 3rd of the ring as D# even though it was mis-labelled D.
I suppose that falls in the category of "doing the right thing for
the wrong reason". ;-)

David Bryant then answered my speculation:
>> I could wish that the useless sharp tenor be traded in for the
>> missing minor sixth, minor tenth and five (or more) trebles to make a
>> fine middle-weight two-octave carillon. Since, as David Cawley
>> pointed out, "the whole set is cast on a scale of ringing weights",
>> there is probably a limit to how far the treble range could be
>> extended.
>
>Wouldn't it be possible to add trebles cast to chiming weights?

That's quite true, but it misses my point. Given that the chiming
bells are already cast to ringing weights (unlike Manchester Town
Hall), I think it would be an interesting and potentially valuable
experiment to discover how far that ringing-weight scale could be
extended and to hear what the result would be musically.

CSZ