[Bell Historians] St Paul, Hammersmith., etc.

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Thu Aug 26 12:15:26 BST 2004

>From: "Dennis Powney" <dennis.powney at l...>

> Today, in the course of his work, my son visited St Paul, Hammersmith. He
> was able to access the tower where, in the room below the ringing chamber,
> was 'A pile of peal boards and picture frames with photos of ringers etc.,
> amongst other detritus'.
> We wonder if these items are safe?

[Probably not! It would be well worth photographing everything, as a
record. CD]

> My very old 'Dove' gives St. Paul as 'Tower unsafe'.

[Yes: that view was shared by Alan Frost of the CCCBR T&B Cttee at a
try-out in October 1969, with cracks in the towers walls opening and
closing, etc. And I am not aware anything has been done since - sadly.

On other recent matters, BARBON back three of 1893 were fitted with iron
stocks then, and the added treble (now 3/6) likewise in 1897.

BIRSTWITH are a Taylor eight of 1933; Warners had been there in 1905 and
their plate is on the Ellacombe chiming case.

Warners subcontracted all their bell work after 1920. Mangotsfield eight of
tht year were Warners' last complete ring. There were also the front five
bells of six at MILLOM, dedicated on 18th December 1920.

CD]